REMEMBER TO CHANGE THE BATTERY IN SMOKE DETECTOR
slot machine








Thank You For Supporting
 The 
Mastic 
Fire Department






HEADQUARTERS 1936
HEADQUARTERS 1925
HEADQUARTERS 2017
SUB-STATION 2017
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT WHAT MAKES US MASTIC FIRE DEPARTMENT

In early 1925, a need for fire protection in the Mastic area was recognized. Fifty-two men from Mastic and Moriches got together in order to discuss this need. Joseph Titmus was elected chairman of the meetings, as he was the only member with fire experience. Numerous meetings were held and subsequently after some discussion, it was decided that two separate units would be established; one unit in Mastic and the other in Moriches.
The Mastic unit went on to elect four sponsors. They were Russell Ferrer, Anthony Tebbins, Harold Lukert, and Thomas Eyton-Jones. The sponsors obtained a charter from the State of New York on April 29, 1925 and the Mastic Chemical Company No. 1 was officially established.
The first officers of the Mastic Chemical Company No. 1 were: Chief Thomas Eyton-Jones; Foreman Jud Barry; Assistant Foreman B.G. Hurley; Secretary Thomas Doyle; Assistant Secretary Charles Trywusch; and Treasurer A.H. Tebbins. The first Directors were Theodore Whitehead, B.G. Hurley, and Fred Squires. Finance was handled by John Kitson.
The Mastic Chemical Company No. 1 started out with two pieces of fire fighting apparatus. The first piece of apparatus was obtained by way of a contract won by the American LaFrance Apparatus Company. American LaFrance delivered a 1925 Brockway Chemical Pumper with a single forty-five gallon chemical tank and two smaller thirty-five gallon tanks. The water was discharged from this pumper by using soda and acid. The other piece of apparatus was a 1923 Pierce Arrow Utility Truck, also obtained in 1925. A 1923 Reo Utility Truck would be added to the fleet later on.
Soon after the Mastic Chemical Company No.1 was formed, the Brooklyn Citizen Real Estates Company donated two lots in the Section One area known as Mastic Park. This forty foot by one hundred foot parcel of land was the site of the very first firehouse. A building measuring twenty-four feet by twenty-four feet was constructed on the property. The members of the Mastic Chemical Company No. 1 built this firehouse under the direction of Anthony Tebbins. The materials for the construction were purchased from and financed by Chapman’s Lumber Yard in East Moriches. The materials were eventually paid for by the end of the second year by using donations from the community and by the efforts of the Mastic Chemical Company No. 1 members to raise funds. Most of these funds were raised by hosting a large community auction and dance at the Mastic Community Club House during the summer of 1926. In the latter part of 1926, another construction project began in order to add a meeting hall to the firehouse. This construction project was once again supervised by Anthony Tebbins and the meeting hall was eventually completed three years later in 1930.
In 1927, the Mastic Fire District was established and all properties of the Mastic Chemical Company No. 1 were turned over to the newly formed fire district. It was at this point in time that the Mastic Chemical Company No.1 became known as the Mastic Fire Department.